Yield: 46 empanadas or 15 portions
1. Combine the first 4 ingredients for the dough in a stand mixer. Using a dough hook cut the cubed butter into the dry ingredients until you have obtained walnut size pieces. Add the cold water slowly until it forms a dough that is slightly sticky.
2. Divide the finished dough into 2 pieces flatten and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Combine the egg and water and mix to form an egg wash, reserve.
3. Heat canola oil in a medium rondeau. Brown the ground veal, stirring gently. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent, add the peppers; continue to sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the taco spice blend and sauté for 1-2 minutes until slightly toasted. Add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese, and bring to a boil; lower to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes or until the veal is tender.
5. Cool this mixture. When cold fold in the shredded cheese.
6. Roll the chilled dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Use small amounts of flour as necessary to prevent sticking.
7. Using a 5 inch circle pastry cutter; cut the dough into circles and place on a parchment paper sheet pan.
8. Brush the circles with the reserved egg wash and place 1 Tbsp. portion of the chilled meat mixture on half of the dough; fold the dough over the meat; using a fork crimp the Empanada closed using a fork.
9. Brush the finished Empanadas with the remanding egg wash and bake in a 350°f for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Portion three empanadas on a plate and serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving: 502 k/Cal; 15g Protein (g); 43g Carb; 2g Fiber; 30g Fat; 16g Sat Fat; 102mg Chol; 750mg Sodium